14 Sep My Favourite Probiotic – what to look for in a probiotic
There’s a community of 38,000,000,000,000 (that’s 38 trillion) microorganisms, mostly bacteria, living in and on your body.
HOW CRAZY IS THAT! The majority of them live within the digestive tract, however, you actually host microorganisms throughout your entire body. Each area of the body has a unique array of bacteria specific to that area – so your gut is different, to your nose, mouth, armpits, skin, and vagina.
The collective weight of all those microorganisms is estimated at 3-5 pounds or 1.5-2.5kg!
Probiotics are living microorganisms that when given in the correct amount have a positive impact on body functions.
There are so many probiotic supplements on the shelves that choosing one can feel like a difficult and confusing task! They come in capsules, tablets, powders, shelf-stable, refrigerated, in foods, and drinks. So selecting whats right for you can oftentimes be overwhelming.
So I thought I would share with your a probiotic that I love and I feel confident taking myself!
Firstly I want to start by saying that I take my recommendations very seriously, I investigate the options available, I read the science and I trial everything myself first. And I am ecstatic that I have found this capsule of goodness.
When I look at I probiotic, this is what I am looking for:
- What is the goal of the probiotic?
- How many CFU’s does the probiotic have?
- What packaging used?
- What strains are used in this formulation?
- How is it stored?
So here are the answers, and here is why I’m excited to recommend this probiotic
- What is the goal of the probiotic? If you have a specific health condition there is research that shows that a particular strain may be more beneficial than another for supporting your body. However, in general, I am looking for a probiotic that supports digestive wellness and providing diversity throughout the gastrointestinal system. This one supports gut function, gut integrity, gut immune function, metabolism, and energy production.
- How many CFU’s/ AFU’s? CFU stands for Colony Forming Units and is reflected in plating, a classic microbiology technique that has been used since the 1800s. This technique shows the number of ‘colonies’ that are formed on a plate through a series of dilutions. This probiotic goes the extra mile! Not only do they consider CFU but also AFU (Active Fluorescent Units)—the most advanced and precise enumeration method for probiotics today. These are measured through flow cytometry, a process where probiotic cells are tagged with fluorescent ‘markers’ and counted by a laser as they pass through a tube. Through AFU, we are able to calculate a more precise measurement of all viable cells, including ones that are efficacious but not necessarily culturable. (If you feel lost in the science talk of this section, don’t worry – I am just super stocked with this information and had to share). There is 53.6 billion AFU’s in the Female Synbiotic.
- What packaging is used? 100% vegan capsule is made of hypromellose (instead of gelatin), gellan gum (which is actually produced through bacterial fermentation), and organic rice fiber and extract. The capsules are acid-resistant and delayed-release, to further protect our probiotics from the digestive process so they survive the trip to your colon.
- What strains are used in this formulation? This is a multi-strain probiotic and prebiotic formulation. The Daily Synbiotic combines clinically-verified, naturally-occurring probiotic strains (not found in yoghurt, most supplements, or fermented foods and beverages) with a new class of patented plant-based, non-fermenting prebiotics sourced from Indian pomegranate and Scandinavian chaga mushroom and pine bark. It’s available in both female (24 strains) and male (20 strains) formulations.
- How is it stored? I try to be very conscious of the environmental impact products can have but I am super impressed, this probiotic comes as an autoship program. The first package comes with 2 jars, one regular storage jar, and a 2nd smaller travel jar. Each month your probiotics are sent to you in a sachet so you can fill up your jars, thus saving on waste. The package itself is mushroom compostable – HOW COOL IS THAT?!
So let me introduce you to my favorite probiotic – The Daily Synbiotic!